Thursday, August 21, 2008

Donate your body to science!

I've told everyone that the first day of class, we started cadaver dissection. The cadavers come from NM donors, people who decided to donate their bodies for our medical education. We are very grateful to all of our donors, and after we finish our coursework, their bodies are cremated, and we have a memorial service for them with their families.

The dissection is rather beautiful and everyone is very respectful. Generally, older people are used because the families of younger people who die often request autopsies, and perhaps younger people more often have their organs harvested. If I find myself to be older and medical school still use bodies, I may donate my body.

For more information on anatomy and cadaver dissection, visit the famous Michigan anatomy site here.

I will write more on medical school in the future, because that's basically my entire life now.

No comments: